One of the more popular end attachments for wire rope is the wedge socket. For field, or on the job attachment, it is easily installed and quickly dismantled. The following procedures are important for safe application of wedge sockets:
- Always inspect socket, wedge and pin for correct size and condition before using.
- Do not use part showing cracks.
- Do not use modified or substitute parts.
- Repair minor nicks or gouges to socket or pin by lightly grinding until surfaces are smooth. Do not reduce original dimension more than 10%. Do not repair by welding.
- Inspect permanent assemblies annually, or more often in severe operating conditions.
- Consult the socket manufacturer for recommendations regarding the specific use and reapplication of wedge sockets.